Transitional Education Bursary
To meet the increasing demand for Health Care Assistant (HCA) staff in BC, Health Match BC (HMBC), a division of the Health Employers Association of BC (HEABC), which offers professional recruitment services on behalf of British Columbia’s public health employers, has developed the HCA Bursary Program (NCAS & Transitional Education Bursaries). These bursaries provide support to graduates of an HCA (or HCA equivalent) program in Canada and Internationally Educated Health Care Professionals (IEHCP), who are seeking to complete the HCA registration process with the BC Care Aide and Community Health Worker Registry (the Registry). The Transitional Education Bursary helps applicants with the costs associated with additional remedial education, which may be a requirement of registration with the Registry, after completion of the HCA NCAS Competency Assessment. In an effort to provide additional support to Registry applicants living in rural and remote locations in BC who need to travel to complete a course with an in-person component, applicants may also be eligible for a Rural Travel Allowance.
Transitional Education Bursary Eligibility
A one-time payment ranging from $150 to $3,500 will be paid by HEABC to applicants of the Registry based on the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicant has submitted an application to the Registry.
- Applicant has completed all components of the HCA NCAS Assessment (i.e. CBA & SLA).
- Following completion of the HCA NCAS, the applicant was not immediately eligible for registration with the Registry and received a Remedial Education Referral Letter outlining the need for additional education.
- Applicant has, with the support of the HMBC HCA team, completed the Learning Plan, outlined in their application form, within the established timeframes.
- Applicant must submit a completed Remedial Education Bursary Application Form with all supporting documents.
- Applicant sends confirmation of obtaining Registry number by the Registry to firstname.lastname@example.org within the timeframe set out in the Bursary application Form.
- Applicant must have a valid Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN). Applicants without a valid SIN may be eligible for bursary support but will not receive payment until they have a valid Canadian SIN.
Rural Travel Allowance Eligibility (if applicable)
A one-time payment ranging between $750 – $1,000, will be paid by HEABC to applicants of the Registry based on the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicant meets all eligibility criteria for the Transitional Education Bursary as outlined above.
- Applicant is referred to a remedial course with an in-person component that is only offered at a post-secondary institution located at least 300 km (or requires to take a BC ferry) from their primary residence.
- Applicant provides proof of primary residence by submitting one of the following documents issued within the last 2 months (except for #3);
- Utility (water, hydro, TV, internet) and/or cell phone bills showing the individual is living at that Canadian address.
- Any letter, statement, bill, or certificate issued by an insurance company registered in Canada, including home insurance, tenant insurance, auto insurance, or life insurance.
- Driver’s license or vehicle registration from the relevant province/territory.
- Statements of accounts (e.g. bank accounts) from a Canadian branch or institution.
Further notes on eligibility:
- Eligibility for the rural travel allowance is determined by HEABC and based on the availability of remedial education courses and distance between the applicant’s primary residence and the nearest institution that offers this course.
- Notwithstanding the above, HEABC may, in its exclusive discretion, depart from the above guidelines.
To apply for this bursary, please complete the Transitional Education Bursary Application Form, and upload all required documents within 3 business days of receiving the Transitional Education Bursary Application Form.
The HCA team will acknowledge receipt of your application within five (5) business days from the submission date. Please note the processing time may vary if the application is incomplete.
- Transitional Education Referral Letter from the Registry.
- Rural travel allowance supporting documents (see Rural Travel Allowance Eligibility section above for options) as proof of primary residence.
- Void Cheque or Direct Deposit Form.
**Please ensure to review all requirements and gather appropriate documents required before completing the application form. If you experience any issues with the application form, please contact email@example.com.
Transitional Education Bursary Application Form
Choose a Career in Providing Care