HCA Recruitment Incentive
On January 21, 2021, the Ministry of Health (MoH) announced a new recruitment incentive for students completing Health Care Assistant (HCA) Programs in BC who take up employment in the long-term care or assisted living sector, and commit to a 12-month return-of-service (ROS). Eligible participants will receive a one-time $5,000 recruitment incentive, administered by Health Match BC (HEABC) through its Choose2Care HCA initiative.
To be eligible for the recruitment incentive, participants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have started a Health Care Assistant (HCA) Program at a recognized public or private institution between January 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
- Demonstrate proof of having graduated from the above HCA education program.
- Provide a registration number with the BC Care Aide and Community Health Worker Registry.
- Demonstrate proof of employment in any Health Authority owned and operated, affiliate or private long-term care (LTC) or assisted living (AL) setting within B.C., or any Health Authority owned and operated home support/community setting.
- Sign a 12-month return of service (ROS) agreement. The Return of Service agreement will be between the participating HCA and the Ministry of Health. The ROS term will begin on the date the ROS agreement is signed and will be available to regular and casual employees.
Notes on eligibility:
- Applicants must have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) as of the date the funds are issued to be eligible to receive the recruitment incentive
- This recruitment incentive is not available to temporary foreign workers or to HCAs with a prior ROS commitment (e.g. HCAP).
- Participants who started in HCA programs between January 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021, who have graduated and are currently employed in B.C. in another sector not listed above (e.g. acute care) are not eligible for the financial incentive.
For more information or to apply for the recruitment incentive, applicants must complete the online HCA Recruitment Incentive Application Form (including a Confirmation of Employment Letter to be completed by their employer) and upload all required documentation. The Choose2Care team will be in touch with applicants directly to assist with next steps.
We are excited to share further news about the BC Government’s investment in individuals that chose to join the Health Care Assistant workforce.
This memo outlines information on the new HCA Recruitment Incentive for students completing Health Care Assistant (HCA) Programs in BC, who take up employment within an eligible sector, and who commit to a 12-month return-of-service (ROS) with the province. Eligible participants will receive a $5,000 recruitment incentive, administered by Health Match BC (HEABC) through its Choose2Care HCA initiative.
Questions regarding eligibility or the application process for this incentive may be directed to: email@example.com.
Choose a Career in Providing Care